Monday, April 27, 2015

My Genome II

I'd previously discussed my ancestry results from 23 and me which can be summarized as follows:
Y-DNA haplogroup: E1b1b1a2* (E1b1b1 is also known as E-M35, E1b1b1a is E-M78 and my own haplogroup is E-V36/V13).

mtDNA haplogroup: H1b

Broad ancestry composition (out of 31 regional groupings including speculative estimates):
European 99.9%
*Northern European 94.8%
**Finnish 38.1%
**Scandinavian 16.4% (Sweden-Norway-Denmark)
**British and Irish 6.3% (UK and Ireland)
**French and German 1.1% (Germany, Netherlands, France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium)
**Broadly Northern European 32.9%
*Broadly Southern European 2.6%
*Broadly European 2.6%
East Asian - Yakut 0.1%
Unassigned less than 0.1%
In due course, my children's results came in, and that substantially changed the result for me due to "phasing" associated with the link to a child.  It now reads (with changes in bold):

European 99.9%
*Northern European 95.4% (up 0.6)
**Finnish 43.4% (up 5.3)
**Scandinavian 3.0% (down 13.4)
**British and Irish 9.6% (up 3.3)
**French and German 5.2% (up 4.1)
**Broadly Northern European 34.2% (down 0.7)
*Broadly Southern European 1.9% (down 0.7)
*Broadly European 2.7% (up 0.1)
East Asian - Yakut 0.1%
Middle East & North African - North African less than 0.1% (new)
Unassigned less than 0.1%

Where it comes from

It is also possible to discern that a modest part of the British and Irish component, the about a third the "Southern European" component, and all of the "Yakut" ancestry are from my mother's side of chromosome 6, while the "North African" portion, a modest part of the British and Irish component, and about half of the "Scandinavian" component is from my father's side on chromosome 6.

The remainder of the "Southern European" component, the remainder of the "Scandinavian" component, more of the rest of the British and Irish component, and all of the "French and German" component, are on other chromosomes on my father's side, while a little bit of the British and Irish component is on another chromosome on my mother's side.

Broadly European and Broadly Northern European components are found on every chromosome.

Thus from my mother I receive 43.4% Finnish, perhaps 1.6% British and Irish, and perhaps 0.6% Southern European and 0.1% Yakut, and about 4.3% Broadly Northern European and Broadly European.

Meanwhile from my father, I receive perhaps 8.0% British and Irish, 5.2% French and German, 3.0% Scandinavian, 1.3% Broadly Southern European, less than 0.1% North African, and 32.4% Broadly Northern European and Broadly European.

Analysis

It seems a bit odd that I have one chromosome, number six, that is much more cosmopolitan and well defined than the others.

The rephased results case my mother as even more pure-bloodedly Finnish than she had been before, while my father comes out again as a Northern European mutt.

Neither the trace Yakut on my mother's side, from a region that had trade ties to Finland, nor the trace North African ancestry on my father's side given that I have a Y-DNA haplogroup that is only about three mutations away from a common Berber Y-DNA haplogroup, is much of a surprise.  Indeed, I was surprised at the absence of even trace North African ancestry the first time around.

The fact that the British and Irish ancestry is greater than before and mostly on my father's side is unsurprising, given that I have known Irish ancestry on that side.  The only surprise about the French and German ancestry on my father's side is that it is so low relative to "Broadly Northern European" ancestry.

Trace Southern European and British and Irish ancestry on my mother's side is a bit of a surprise, but it is small enough in amount to have cryptic origins, although careful examination of my mother's side's well documented genealogy could probably ferret it out.

4 comments:

Maju said...

So let me guess: your mother was Finnish and your father white US-American, right?

bellbeakerblogger said...

The 'phasing' parent to child, was that done automatically through 23 and me or did you use an external calculator?

Krefter said...

You should use admixture tests on GEDmatch.

andrew said...

My mom was a Swede-Finn (3rd generation but with all post-immigration couples from within the Swede-Finn immigrant community in the U.S.); my dad's ancestor came from Prussia about a generation before by mom's family, but I have an Irish Catholic (possibly not 100% by genetic ancestry) grandmother.

The phasing was done automatically.